The Future Of WiFi And Coffee Shops
The U.S. mobile worker population will grow at a steady rate over the next five years, increasing from 96.2 million in 2015 to 105.4 million mobile workers in 2020. By the end of the forecast period, IDC expects mobile workers will account for nearly three quarters (72.3%) of the total U.S. workforce. Mobile working is here to stay. How should independent coffee shops capitalize on this trend to grow their business?
One constant that we’ve observed while working with our customers is that mobile workers crowd and over stay throughout the day with little or no increase to the merchant’s daily transactions. The experience overtime is frustrating for the coffee shop owner since they are unable to service new customers to reach the volume transactions they need to be profitable while existing customers complain about the slow WiFi connection due to heavy volume and use, among other things.
What we’re solving
We’re helping coffee shop owners with a solution to better manage their WiFi. This means, that a coffee shop can offer multiple guest services settings throughout the day. In addition, GoGoGuest is also empowering our business owners with customer engagement tools that encourage new transactions while the customer is in the store.
Challenges that coffee shop owners face today
- Increase in foot traffic, without a significant increase in transactions. Before working on our MVP at GoGoGuest, we went on location for 30 days at different independent coffee shop locations. One thing is clear: once a customer is in your store, after their first coffee and muffin purchase — engagement comes to a full stop. Independent coffee shop merchants are unable to encourage engagement tied to transactions while said customer is comfortably occupying their precious real-estate and using the high-speed WiFi and streaming the next Game of Thrones on Netflix from 2 up to 4 hours at a minimum.
- The security risks of open WiFi. Independent coffee shop merchants do not have the bandwidth nor are tech savvy to implement a secure Open WiFi network that protects customers from risks. Free WiFi is great, but without the protection of VPN, two-factor authentication and other security measures customers are constantly prone to identity theft, social hacks and financial risk.
- Zero control. With an Open WiFi accessibility, a merchant gives up control of their network. Everyone who has access to that one-time username and password uses it at will. Most small business merchants do not have cloud managed WiFi networks, so they are clueless as to who has access, the types of content that customers are downloading, sharing or streaming. This opens up a new set of potential security issues, while slowing down the WiFi experience of paying customers.
- Customer experience suffers. When a store is busy, WiFi access slows down across the board for everyone. Shitty WiFi makes customers unhappy, but how do you mitigate the situation with an open WiFi system?
What we’re building that coffee shop owners love
We’re helping independent coffeeshop merchants unlock the power of WiFi, while elevating their guest services workstreams. After working closely with a handful of local independent coffee shop owners in San Francisco, we came up with a solution that will:
- Give coffee shops the power to offer unique and secure WiFi codes.
- Provide coffee shop managers a simple and elegant way to manage guest services work streams.
- Gain insight on your transaction peak and slow times.
- Enable direct and mobile consumer engagement through the GoGoGuest merchant customer app (currently available in iOS).
- Create timely offers at your point-of-sale and our merchant customer app.
GoGoGuest is hardware agnostic. Our solution is modularized and designed to integrate with any access point in a few simple steps. To request for your trial access, business owners are should register.
GoGoGuest, is a modern guest services solution made for coffee shops, bars and co-working spaces. Our goal is to elevate the merchant and customer experience while growing your daily transactions.